Monday, April 13, 2015

Baked pork chops

I don't normally cook pork. Unless it's in a crock pot. In fact I usually avoid cooking meat unless it's in a crock pot. Because I have that ever-present fear of undercooked meat, and the crock pot keeps things moist AND well-done.

Usually hubs grills pork chops, but tonight he declined and I did not have the foresight to prep them in the crock pot. So I tried something new.

Following the standard breading technique- minus the middle flour dusting part- I breaded some pork chops and baked them. And they turned out a little bland but not bad. Next time I'll add fresh herbs or punchier spices.

I used some stale GF Rice Krispies crunched up for the "breading" and not only did they 'snap, crackle, and pop' once they were on the pork chop, they gave the finished product a crispy texture that did not fall apart or off of the meat. I would use this technique again.

I made some ginger rice inspired by this recipe, and it was a really great accompaniment. Had a nice tang that paired very well with pork. Kind of made up for the pork chop blandness.


Baked breaded pork chops

In a bowl, mix: 1 egg, whisked with 1 T. mustard

On a plate, mix:
1 c. GF Rice Krispies, crunched up
1 tsp dried parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese

Dunk the pork chop in the egg, then coat with the seasoned cereal mixture. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 425 for 20 minutes or until they are done. If you use a meat thermometer, it should read 160. If you cut into the meat, any juices should be clear.

For the rice, mix in a pot: 1 c. rice, 2 c. water, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 bay leaf, salt to taste. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. After 10 minutes, dump in some frozen veggies and mix in; cover for another 5 minutes.

This makes enough for 3 pork chops.

No comments: