Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pot Roast

IMG_3475

There's not much better than coming home after a long day of work to a hot meal.
Remember this post? Well, I learned how to make pot roast. And it's friggin' delicious.

I've made it a couple of ways. I like this basic recipe, and then I can change it up as I feel like it.

Needed:
  • Chuck roast (Use roughly 1/2 pound per person)
  • 2 peeled Garlic cloves
  • Bit of red wine (Whatever I've got open) (Or GF beef broth) (Appx 1 c.)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Onion
  • If my plant is still alive, a sprig or two of rosemary
My favorite, no fuss, least-amount-of-dirty-dishes way to cook it:

The night before, place everything in the crock pot. Eyeball the amount of liquid. You want enough to keep things moist, but you don't want the meat swimming in it. Keep in mind the meat will also release liquids as it cooks.

I feel like I have to mention that I keep it in the fridge overnight. In the morning when I leave for work I set it up on low heat, and come home to amazingly tender, falling apart, flavorful pot roast.

If you don't mind the extra dishes (I know, I have a complex), browning the meat & onion before placing it into the crock pot helps punch up the flavor. After it's browned, take a little wine and pour it into the hot pan and get all the drippings loose. Add that to the crock pot too.

I also have found that I prefer my pot roast to be cooked vegetable-less. I like to cook the meat by itself, and add veggies as sides.

Regardless, there are a billion ways to cook pot roast, and this works for me!

No comments: