Thursday, December 12, 2019

chocolate chip cookies, dairy free

I found out late tonight that my day tomorrow will be more mellow than expected. So, at 10pm, it's okay to make cookies, right?

Right.

I haven't baked lately, especially not since I've decided to avoid dairy, so I've been experimenting. So far, so good. My waistline may not eventually agree but hey, it's the holiday season so cookies at 10pm are ok, right?

Right.

*sips wine*

gluten free dairy free chocolate chip cookies

I like that these are not overly sweet, so that you can actually taste the chocolate, salt, and vanilla. These are a little crispy, a little soft, and way too good.

GF Dairy free Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 T. shortening
2 T. Vegan I can't believe it's not butter*
1 egg
1/4 t. vanilla
3/4 c. GF flour mix
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. baking soda
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
2/3 c. Enjoy Life chocolate chips 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Using a hand mixer, mix the shortening, "butter," and sugar.
Add the egg and vanilla, and mix it well.

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add them to the wet ingredients and mix them together, then stir in the chocolate chips.

Place balls of dough on a cookie sheet lined with greased foil.

Bake them for 8-10 minutes, until the edges begin to brown and the tops are set.

Makes about 12-16 smallish cookies that freeze well, if they last that long.

gluten free dairy free chocolate chip cookies

*Currently experimenting with this. So far, it's a decent substitute for butter, both as a spread and in baking.

No comments: