Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Beef and veggies

I have been cooking.
Really.

I haven't blogged a lot lately. Since I've only been cooking for myself, I have leaned towards simple, low-fuss meals that don't exactly translate into a recipe.

Except, maybe they do.

Just because it's simple doesn't mean it's not a meal.
So, I'm sharing.


Today I made some beef and vegetables:

Cook in a pan on medium heat:
1 steak that your lovely mother put into your freezer when you were out of town, thawed and cut into thin strips
1/4 onion, chopped
salt and pepper

Cook until the meat has started to brown and your cat wakes up from her nap and meanders into the kitchen. Stir things every minute or so.

When the meat is mostly cooked, add in:
1 handful of kale, torn into pieces
1 cup-ish of that frozen vegetable medley of cauliflower, broccoli, and carrot that everyone has in the back of their freezer.

Let that cook in the hot pan, stirring a little, until the kale is deep green and wilted, and the other veggies have a little char on them.

Serve with some leftover brown rice, a small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and a modestly priced pinot noir.

Towards the middle of the meal, if you toss a little gristle down to the cat, everyone is happy.

No comments: