Sunday, August 30, 2009

123 Gluten Free: Blueberry Muffins

123 gluten free blueberry muffins
This post is brought to you by 123 Gluten Free: Meredith's Marvelous muffin/ quickbread mix. Chris was buying some of those manly protein powder things online, and the website he was using carried these. Being awesome, he added this to his order. Then, for weeks he teased me by saying he had a surprise for me but he didn't have it yet. Gah the suspense!

When it finally arrived, it was in the middle of a very busy week so the package sat on my counter. This morning was very un-busy and there just happened to be a huge thing of blueberries in the fridge, so I decided to try it.

There are directions for both banana bread and blueberry muffins on the package, with online instructions for pumpkin, carrot, or zucchini bread.

I deviated from the directions a bit. I didn't have 1/2 c. butter, so I used about 1/4 c. butter, and filled in the rest with sunflower oil and applesauce. I also didn't use milk. I used water instead.

The package directions say to bake for 2o minutes, but mine got a little brown. If you make these, check them at around 15.

How was the muffin? Good texture and overall flavor, but I felt it was missing something. They tasted just a tad bland. I think using orange juice in place of the milk would yield more flavor, and I think the recipe could have used a tad more blueberries than the 1 1/4 c. called for.

Would I finish the batch? Definitely, and I'd even share them with company. That's the real test of a recipe, you know.

Would I purchase the mix again? Probably not, but only because it's so easy to make muffins from scratch.

It's a good quality product, and I'd recommend it to beginners or people who don't like making muffins from scratch.

No comments: